Sunday, September 17, 2006

The Wisdom of Bob Dylan


This interview happened some time ago, but I'm so out of touch with modern pop culture that I'm just getting to it. Bob Dylan sat down with Rolling Stone magazine to discuss his new album, "Modern Times," and in the interview he laid out some tasty positions that reverberated with the folks here at Silent Stereo Records. To wit:

On music producers: "I didn't feel like I wanted to be overproduced any more," he tells me. "I felt like I've always produced my own records anyway, except I just had someone there in the way. I feel like nobody's gonna know how I should sound except me anyway, nobody knows what they want out of players except me, nobody can tell a player what he's doing wrong, nobody can find a player who can play but he's not playing, like I can."

On modern recordings: "The records I used to listen to and still love, you can't make a record that sounds that way..."

On musical genius: "Brian Wilson, he made all his records with four tracks, but you couldn't make his records if you had a hundred tracks today."

On the digital music revolution: "Everybody's gettin' music for free.' I was like, 'Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway.'"

It's nice to find to a kindred spirit in this vast digital landscape. Check out the rest of the interview here. Then go dust off a copy of of "Bringing It All Back Home," or "John Wesley Harding" and enjoy.